Click Here To View/Download Document
Requests to Address the Governing Board Verbiage:
B-2150 © BEDH
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AT BOARD MEETINGS
All regular and special meetings of the Board shall be open to the public.
The Board invites the viewpoints of community members, and considers the responsible presentation of these viewpoints vital to the efficient operation of the District. The Board also recognizes its responsibility for the proper governance of the schools and therefore the need to conduct its business in an orderly and efficient manner. The Board therefore establishes the following procedures to receive input from members of the public:
- Any individual desiring to address the Board shall complete a form (Request to Address Board) and submit the form (BEDH-E) to the Superintendent's assistant prior to the start of the Board meeting.
- The Board President shall be responsible for recognizing speakers, maintaining proper order, and adhering to any time limit set. Questions of fact asked by the public shall, when appropriate, be answered by the President or referred to the Superintendent for reply. Questions requiring investigation may be referred to the Superintendent for later report to the Board. Questions or comments on matters that are currently under legal review will not receive a response.
- If considered necessary, the President shall set a time limit on the length of the comment period. In order to ensure that each individual has an opportunity to address the Board, the President may also set a time limit for individual speakers.
- Personal attacks upon Board members, staff personnel, or other persons in attendance or absent by individuals who address the Board are discouraged. Policies KE, KEB, KEC, and KED are provided by the Board for disposition of legitimate complaints, including those involving individuals. Upon conclusion of the open call to the public, individual members of the Board may respond to any criticism made by an individual who has addressed the Board.
- Presentations for unsolicited services will not be permitted. Companies or businesses offering services of possible interest to the District should send information to the District Office for distribution to appropriate School District officials.
The Superintendent shall ensure that a copy of this policy is posted at the entrance to the Board meeting room, and that an adequate supply of forms is available.
Adopted: September 30, 2021
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. 38-431.01
CROSS REF.: BDB - Board Officers
BHC - Board Communications with Staff Members
BHD - Board Communications with the Public
KEB - Public Concerns/Complaints about Personnel